Monday, August 10, 2026

Craft Lake City - August 9

I got a message as I was getting ready for church that Lucinda wouldn't be going to our ward, but going to a farewell instead. So I decided that I would lead the music.

At our sacrament meeting they had most of the young men give short talks, reporting on their Aaronic priesthood activity of several days. Most of them ended up mentioning a river rafting activity. It's amazing that so many spiritual lessons could be learned from one activity. It sounds like they had a good time.

There were also a couple of leaders who were with them who spoke. That meant that the meeting went overtime again, and we only sang one verse of the closing song. I mentioned to Brother Priest after the meeting that it would've been wise to eliminate the intermediate hymn when there were that many speakers planned. 

We had a good Relief Society lesson. Our new teacher prepares a lot of visual aids that are very pertinent to the lesson and does a really good job of getting discussion. We had some new sisters attend and it looks like they are going to be a real blessing in our ward.

After church, I rushed home and changed clothes and hurried to choir practice. We had a good turnout and Phil brought a friend who was visiting from Las Vegas. But our women's sections are very hurting for more members.

We ran through both of our numbers. We are planning to sing in church next Sunday and come early to run through the music. But our host, Susan, will be out of town and we don't have another place to rehearse, so we will have to skip next week's practice.

I hurried home at the end of rehearsal and found Fae already there waiting for me. I just grabbed my stuff and got in her car. Sydney moved to the backseat and Fae and I had a lovely chat on the way to Salt Lake Lake.

We were heading to Craft Lake City, at the state fairgrounds where Splinter Press had a booth and Mike and Mikkel's band was performing. The band is called Nellie and the Yardswillers.

They were charging $15 for parking the car and also charging for entrance into Craft Lake City. Luckily, Elesa and Faralee and Boydell had a few extra tickets, so we didn't have to pay anything other than the parking charge.

We ran into Arlene and Marilysa, who had been there for a while. They pointed out the stage where the band would be performing and took us to Splinter Press's booth. It was 94 or 95°, and just so hot!

We went into the building that's part of the show and found a lot of booths there selling all kinds of things. We kind of made a quick circuit of it and didn't even try to stay together. There was one part where there were robot competitions going on. I wandered over to where the band was playing and found a place in the shade to watch. I was surprised at how much I liked the band's music. I was afraid that it was hard rock, but I don't know how they would classify themselves, but I would say probably soft rock.

I watched for a little while and then wandered off to see if I could find some food to eat for my dinner. I ended up getting a hamburger which was a little less than exciting because it didn't have anything other than mayonnaise on it. But it was hot and freshly cooked, and the meat was good. I brought it back and sat in the shade again and watched the rest of the band's performance. They only played for about half an hour and then packed up their instruments to go home. The craft fair closed ar 6 PM on Sunday, so after visiting Splinter Press's both again, I found Fae and Sydney sitting on a park bench in the shade and joined them.

We learned that Elesa's car was having problems, and would probably need to be towed home. Richard had come up separately with the boys in his truck. So Fae offered to bring the boys home with us and that's what we did. It was a little crowdy with Colin and Harrison and Sydney in the backseat, but they didn't seem to mind too much. Sydney and Harrison carried on a conversation the whole way home and Colin slept.

I got home about 7:30 and took it easy for the rest of the day. I watched the Tabernacle choir and some Dave Ramsey.

No comments: